While packet sandwiches, salads, juice boxes and easy to eat fruits are the norm, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't put any thought into your picnic fare. With a few additions, such as lovely oils, chutneys and a cheeky, ready-to-drink tipple, you can take you picnic to another level.
We've rounded up some of our favourite items for you to enjoy this summer. Clockwise from left to right:
- Greenall's Gin & Pink Grapefruit (250ml) from £1.90 at Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose & Booths
- Greenall's Gin & Diet Tonic (250 ml) from £1.90 at Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose & Booths
- ViveBio Organic Red Wine Vinegar (250ml) £2.95 at www.healthyfoods-online.com
- Vive Bio Organic Olive Oil (250 ml) £2.80 at www.healthyfoods-online.com
- BLOOM Gin & Fentiman's Rose Lemonade £3.00 at Waitrose & Booths
- BLOOM Gin & Fentiman's Tonic £3.00 at Waitrose & Booths
- Butler's Grove Apple Chutney (311 g) £4.00 at www.healthyfoods-online.com
- The Blueberry Brothers Blueberry Chutney (220 g) £3.99 at M&S
Greenall's pre-mixed cocktails - Made with Greenall's London Dry Gin and mixed with either Tonic Water or Pink Grapefruit. The Great British Cocktail that's a summer staple...
BLOOM Gin & Fentimans Rose Lemonade and Gin & Tonic - Sophisticated ready-to-drink cocktails made with BLOOM London Dry Gin and Fentiman's Rose Lemonade or Tonic Water. Classic cocktails that are sure to be a hit...
A Great Taste Award winning, gourmet apple chutney made with love in Hampshire. A thick apple chutney with spices and raisins. Serve with pork or cheeses.
A spicy, blueberry chutney with cardamon, mustard and fennel, hand made in Devon. Enjoy with cheeses or charcuterie.
If you'd like to be a bit more adventurous and would like to whip up some unique savoury sandwich fillings or make some delicious desserts, ensure you check out the Picnic Cookbook for inspiration.
Pre-made picnic baskets
If the thought of compiling your own picnic is too much like hard work, then you'll love the picnic baskets from Arch London. Gourmet picnic delights include half a bottle of Champagne; smoked salmon sandwiches; homemade crisps with sea salt lemon and sage; poached chicken cooked in the stone oven; potato salad; and a selection of freshly made macaroons.
The picnics are priced at £75 per person and come packaged in a posh hamper.
The Le Pain Quotidien picnic hamper can be purchased from 24 branches across London and is priced £40 or with wine, £48.
- 1 x fresh baguette (cut in half)
- 1 x beetroot hummus and crudite
- 1 x side ham
- 2 x side Gruyere
- Mixed olives
- Scone with jam and cream
- 1 x Ham and Cheddar or spinach tart w/ side salad
- 1 x sparkling water (750ml)
- 3 x butter sachets
Wine options include Malbec, Domaine Bousquet, Argentina or Pinot Grigio, Mont’ Albano, Friuli Grave, Italy.